Fiddle worms?

heath j

I have heard this myth or rumor for as long as I can remember but is it really true? Can you cut off a sappling then run the saw very slowly across the stump and make these worms go crazy and crawl out of the ground? emoScratch

G

This is very true, we used to go out on sand mountain around henegar, go in a woodlot with lots of dogwood trees, cut the dogwood saplin tree down about 8 to 10 inches from the ground, use a dull handsaw and try to split the stump, the saw blade would set up vibrations and do this for about 10 minutes, start looking around and the worms would be crawling out all around you, then all you had to do was pick them up. The worms would be about as big around as a pencil and 12 to 16 inches long. We put them in one of those styrofoam coolers, added dead leaves and a bit of moisture, keep them under the house where it was cool, they would keep for about a week. You could probably put them in a worm bin and keep them longer.

heath j

I can't wait to try this!!! LOL!!! I've been nightcrawler stalking and had a blast so this has got to be sweet!!! emoTongue

Fat Albert

Doc1 - 1/20/2010 8:53 PM This is very true, we used to go out on sand mountain around henegar, go in a woodlot with lots of dogwood trees, cut the dogwood saplin tree down about 8 to 10 inches from the ground, use a dull handsaw and try to split the stump, the saw blade would set up vibrations and do this for about 10 minutes, start looking around and the worms would be crawling out all around you, then all you had to do was pick them up. The worms would be about as big around as a pencil and 12 to 16 inches long. We put them in one of those styrofoam coolers, added dead leaves and a bit of moisture, keep them under the house where it was cool, they would keep for about a week. You could probably put them in a worm bin and keep them longer.</p>

</p>

<font color="#ff0033" size="4" face="comic sans ms,sand">Yea, I always thought Doc had worms........FA</font></p>

G

Heath, give me a yell in early spring when the ground warms up a bit and we will go on a fiddle worm hunting trip on sand mountain. The worms are too deep to do it now.

TheMacDaddy

There episode on "Dirty Jobs" where these worm hunters would put piece of metal in the ground and take piece of would to it... This would create a sound or some kind of tune that the worms would pop up to the top of the ground, it was the craziest thing that I've ever seen....

G

This is the same thing Heath, I have always believed fidlin produced more worms since the small trees that were used would have roots branching out in every direction and the viberation would follow the roots instead of one spot like the grunt videos show, either way gets results.

WLG

Yep its true Heath...my dad used to take me fiddlin up in greasy creek...its the craziest thing youve ever seen....worms ( BIG ONES) just come up out of the ground everywhere!!!

David

I can remember my brother talking about going with one of his friends somewhere on Lookout Mtn and fiddling worms up. I think they drove a stake in the ground and then sawed on it the best I can remember.

May I share one additional fact about the Sand Mountain fiddle worms? When I did this several years ago with a friend we took our worms we collected and used them jug fishing that night for catfish. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the worms became bioluminescent, glowing just like a lightning bug or firefly when you put them on a hook. Isn't that right Doc1?

Tennfisher

G

tennfisher - 1/22/2010 10:59 PM May I share one additional fact about the Sand Mountain fiddle worms? When I did this several years ago with a friend we took our worms we collected and used them jug fishing that night for catfish. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the worms became bioluminescent, glowing just like a lightning bug or firefly when you put them on a hook. Isn't that right Doc1? Tennfisher
</p>

I have heard this about the fiddle worms, never seen it myself. We always used them for fishing for cats in the tailrace below the nick in daylight only. I do know that once you get the slime off them on your hands that it takes hand cleaner to get it off.</p>

drumking

I have done this back in the 70's when I lived in Cumberland co. I would cut a sapling down and take a flat rock and rub it across the stump and worms would crawl out in no time. I think that the vibrations make the worm believe that a mole is digging after them and they come topside. emoBigsmile emoGeezer

ukfod1

i have heard people talk about this. never tried it. would like to sometime. sounds fun

G

Possum - 1/23/2010 5:04 PM When you go Doc I would like to bring my little girl and tag along.
</p>

You will be more than welcome Possum, we might need your little girl to help pick up the worms.</p>