Armor All on boat seats- WARNING!

Shankopotamus

I was being conscientious by using Armor All protectant on my boat upholstery to protect my investment- this is the result! Where the fold-down seat back vinylcontacts the seat cushion, then gets wet, the chemicals separate and leave this film. Does anyone know what might remove this without harming the vinyl? This only happens where vinyl touches vinyl- other upholstery has not been affected by water.</p>

I called Armor All and tried their mixture of ammonia, Dawn, and hot water (doesn't work). I also informed them that there was no warning on the bottle to not use this product in "wet" applications. He agreed, but it'slittleconsolation!</p>

Attachments

• IMG_0637 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0637 (Small).JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_0638 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0638 (Small).JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 410

wrechin2

That stinks!!! Sorry for your misfortune, but thank you for letting the rest of us know. Hope you get it to come off and change back.

Hook1

You would think they would know if this happens when wet! It looks like they don't even test what they sell since there is no warning label.

Shankopotamus

hl&s - 6/23/2009 11:50 AMI use Armor All "Original" on mine and haven't had this problem. emoScratch

Original is what I used. The rep I spoke with said that they have had these complaints reported before and they do not recommend it be used in "wet" applications. It would be helpful if they had the consideration to put that warning on the @#&! bottle! He said the silicone is what causes the problem, so I would suggest not using anything with silicone in it.

jbh3

Try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to get that crap off your seats. I would dispose of that Armor All. Lots of better products out there to do that job. Meguires Flagship Vinyl and Rubber Protectant is one.

Fuzzy

My Ranger manual specifically address's to not use Armor All on the boat vinyl because it inhibits the materials UV coatings. Sorry to see what it did to your seats. Maybe a UV safe protectant might help remove the water stain...

Shankopotamus

jbh3 - 6/23/2009 2:21 PM Try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to get that crap off your seats. I would dispose of that Armor All. Lots of better products out there to do that job. Meguires Flagship Vinyl and Rubber Protectant is one.
</p>

Is the magic eraser safe for soft vinyl? I'm still looking for a solution that will clean the stains off, but I'm somewhat timid about causing worse damage. I told the Armor All rep I was done with their products. I'll look at the Meguire's- as long as it's not silicone based.</p>

cb1340

the magic eraser should be safe for about anything, its just a weird sponge. I will remove stains from the wall at my house and they are cream colored so it should work on the seats. google it and see what you can use it on

Davo

Only use Bassboatsaver on your boat, works for fiberglass, plastic, seats, etc.

stratos21xl

look into a product called Hyde Food. It is probably one of the best cleaner/conditioner products I have ever used. It's not cheap but years ago I was told about this product for a friend that owned a detail shop and he used it on high end cars and boats and I have used it in all my autos on the dash and interior and exterior trim on all my vehicles and boats. I think they make it in a spray bottle now but I still use the light paste. I have seen it take stains off leeather and vinyl that I never in a million years thought I could get out.

Here is a link another friend of mine said to look into...he said this product is really good and safe on boats to.
http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?fuseaction=feature.display&feature_id=18

Another thing you may try to get the old stuff off before you treat it with the new stuff is white vinegar mixed with water. I actually got cherry kool-aid out of off white carpet with that mixture. I'm sure your sick at your stomach about what it did to your boat seats, its a shame we spend so much money on a vehicle or boat and buy things to try to protect them and then something like this happens.

Shankopotamus

I'll investigate these ideas ifvinegar and water don't do the trick. Thanks for all of your suggestions! Now I have a pretty good gameplan.</p>

Stratos, I actually have a bottle of the 303 protectant, but forgot about it when I did my seats. Right there on the link you sent it says DO NOT USE protectants containing silicone (Armor All) or petroleum distillates. After reading the label on the 303 bottle, it doesn't specify it contains no silicone, albeit it doesn't have a greasy feel, but I was still scared to use it. I WILL NOW! And, yeah, I was pretty peeved when I saw the damage- enough to prompt a phone call to Armor All! I have only owned this boat for 2 months (my first). If I wanted a boat with seats looking that way, I could have saved a bunch of money!</p>

I was able to get most of the residue off the seats with 409 and a toothbrush, but they came back the next time the seat got wet!!! 409 says not recommended on soft vinyl, but I was desperate because nothing else was working. It didn't appear to hurt anything, but caution is in order.</p>

TennTalker

I dunno about this .. I'm just a girl who doesn't experiment much. BUT .. I do know that WD-40 works miracles in many many ways. Have you tried cleaning that spot with it??? For a list of the wonderful things I know it can do .. see the misc. thread. hahaha

TT

Shankopotamus

TennTalker - 6/24/2009 9:29 AM I dunno about this .. I'm just a girl who doesn't experiment much. BUT .. I do know that WD-40 works miracles in many many ways. Have you tried cleaning that spot with it??? For a list of the wonderful things I know it can do .. see the misc. thread. hahaha TT
</p>

Thanks TT. I read your thread and have known some of that for years. I may just try it to remove the residue on my seat! I discovered back in 1989 or so that WD40 would remove serious scuff marks and fine scratchesfrom a vehicle's paint.</p>

angst

WD40 for cleaning the seats would be the same concern on seats in that it contains petroliates.
That is a shame the Armorall did so much damage. I wouldn't have thought so much on vinyl though.
Sounds like the ArmorAll guys are saying that the silicates are the issue.
Armorall is well known to instantly destroy rubber drysuit gaskets This is presumably due to the petroliates, but perhaps the silicone is a part of that.

Call the 303 tech support and they could give you the intel on what you should do the the surface before putting the 303 on.
http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.display&page_id=8

From the article on their site (link below) I think they will probably say to only use non detergent soap.
http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?fuseaction=feature.display&feature_id=18

Pointer 78

If you don't want this happening again, buy a Ranger next time.

thor

303 is the way to go put the seats out in direct sunlight for a day before applying and see if that dont fix it. just my 2 cents.

Shankopotamus

thor - 6/27/2009 4:20 AM 303 is the way to go put the seats out in direct sunlight for a day before applying and see if that dont fix it. just my 2 cents.
</p>

I have left the seat upright in the sun while fishing and when not in use at home- to no avail. The Armor All guy said that the chemical may have to "wear" off to completely disappear. I'm hoping the heat/ sun will assist in breaking down the chemical residue over time. Although I have had some success removing it with cleaners, it reappears once the seat gets wet again. Until it's completely gone, I don't want to apply 303 for fear of trapping those chemicals even longer.</p>

<font color="#ff0000" size="3">Pointer, if I ended up needing new seats, I would be better served getting them from a company with the financial strength/ business acumento REMAIN IN BUSINESS so as to provide replacement parts! ROFLemoBigsmile </font></p>

</p>