Topo Map Software

TAzGa

Does anyone know of any software for the computer that has a good topo map of chickamauga? I see folks talking about the Navionics Gold maps that have 1 ft contours. I've got the standard, waterproof map from the tackle store... the contours are only around 5 to 7 ft ... not very detailed. I also have a CD from Fishing hotspots... it's got the same thing. My Map Create software from Lowrance has no contours .... I'd like to find something I could study on my computer, locate some places with gps coords... plug the waypoints in and go find them ... I'd love to see 1 ft contours ... any ideas without having to drop $200 on a Navionics Gold Chip and $600 for a 520C to look at it ?

I've got a Lowrance LMS-320DF that I'm not really impressed with... and the FHS map card (again, 5 to 7 ft contours).. think the Navionics MMC version of the maps would have the 1 ft contours for this unit?

thx,
TAz

nwright

If you have Mapcreate USA Hunting Topo 6.0, you can display lake contours from FHS along with land contours. You must use a Lowrance card reader to do this.

TAzGa

I've got Mapcreate 6.0 and a lowrance card reader ... don't think it says anything about 'hunting topo' .. on the lakes it's got the navigational aids, bouys, marina's, roads, cities ... etc marked... but, no topography on either land or water... maybe I've got the wrong version?
I've loaded the FHS MMC card into my GPS and it shows bottom contours about like the map ... one contour at 5, one at 14, one at 21 ... etc... not very detailed, and not very accuralte... the gps could show me on a hump in 14 ft of water, and I'll be in 40 ft... on known spots, the map shows me a couple of hundred feet away. I'm sure the gps coords are good, but the map just isn't aligned with the coords very well. Makes it frustrating when trying to find stuff. If I had a good map on my puter that was accurate and could give me good coords, I could just add the waypoints and be on my way... maybe I'm in a dream world and things just aren't that accurate... lol

TAz

nwright

A common mistake, when trying to check the map accuracy, is to be zoomed out too far. Zoom in, otherwise your cursor will cover a large area and make the map appear to be off. I have two FHS maps and have found them to be pretty accurate.

MapCreate 6.0 just shows detailed lake boundaries. MapCreate 6.0 USA Hunting Topo shows the same except it also shows land contours. Must be used in conjunction with a Lowrance or LEI card reader to enable FHS to be overlaid on the map.

lrak

TAzGa - 6/30/2008 8:40 AM

Does anyone know of any software for the computer that has a good topo map of chickamauga? I see folks talking about the Navionics Gold maps that have 1 ft contours. I've got the standard, waterproof map from the tackle store... the contours are only around 5 to 7 ft ... not very detailed. I also have a CD from Fishing hotspots... it's got the same thing. My Map Create software from Lowrance has no contours .... I'd like to find something I could study on my computer, locate some places with gps coords... plug the waypoints in and go find them ... I'd love to see 1 ft contours ... any ideas without having to drop $200 on a Navionics Gold Chip and $600 for a 520C to look at it ?

I've got a Lowrance LMS-320DF that I'm not really impressed with... and the FHS map card (again, 5 to 7 ft contours).. think the Navionics MMC version of the maps would have the 1 ft contours for this unit?

thx,
TAz

9 years late. Here is a Chickamauga contour map website.

porthos33

You can thank me later! haha j/k Just go to Navionics.com then click the web app option at the top. Bam you got 1 ft contours and great detail. You can select between Them take a screen shot with your smart phone (even though I still have a flip phone, Most people have a smart phone) and you have what you need. You can select between two different options. It's not Lakemaster which imo is the best mapping available but it is the next best thing and you can view it online.

bazzguy

Navionics made a computer app called NavPlannerII. No longer available but they have a newer app that is similar in that you load it on to your computer and pick yr lake anywhere in the USA and enjoy in the comfort of your home or whatever. Check with Navionics. I paid $199 for NavPlanner II. Great plaything.

lrak

Thanks bazzguy and porthos33 for the links. Very useful. Hopefully Lakemaster will launch a free web app like Navionics and i-Boating.
I have a few others like these on my laptop. Will dig them out later (haven't used them in a while).

finbully

porthos33 - 1/17/2017 2:14 PM

You can thank me later! haha j/k Just go to Navionics.com then click the web app option at the top. Bam you got 1 ft contours and great detail. You can select between Them take a screen shot with your smart phone (even though I still have a flip phone, Most people have a smart phone) and you have what you need. You can select between two different options. It's not Lakemaster which imo is the best mapping available but it is the next best thing and you can view it online.

Best answer above is from porthos33.

Get the smartphone app - $10. Best $10 you'll spend you can install it on smartphones and pads.

Bam! Done!

ranger mike

porthos33 - 1/17/2017 3:14 PM

Thanks porthos33, I've been looking for something like this.